Living in a tropical place like Bali can be exciting. But when living here, it’s also important to have good healthcare. If you’re an expat or a foreigner living in Bali, you should know about your health insurance options. This is really important for having some peace of mind that you can be taken care off in case of an unfortunate thing. Basically what insurances do. Even though living in Bali can be cheaper than in Western countries, healthcare can cost a lot. That’s why having medical insurance is a must.
Why would healthcare be expensive in Bali?
When you don’t have the insurance it will work according to the American system as we know. You’ll be billed for each day and action that is required to help you in any way. It might still be cheaper than other countries, but some people have to sell assets, cars, or change their lifestyle when such bills become too much. Also for long term, you can’t imagine the cost in a place like Bali.
to give you an example, some (chronic) that require few weeks hospitalization and specific care can easily reach 100 million rupiah or more. Imagine getting a bill of 6000 euro or up. With that Bali isn’t cheap any more.
What are the options for health insurance in Bali?
Private Medical Insurance
Having a private medical insurance policy is often the best choice. It covers many medical services like seeing specialists, surgeries, and even medical evacuations. A lot of insurance companies have special plans for expats that work all over the world. In Indonesia, Prudential and Allianz are some of the well-known insurance providers.
If you’re in Bali for just a short time, think about getting travel insurance. It helps with emergency medical costs and can also cover things like canceling your trip, theft, and lost bags. But remember, it doesn’t give as much healthcare coverage as private medical insurance.
Indonesia has a national healthcare system called BPJS Kesehatan. But, if you’re a foreigner, it might be hard to use because of language issues and confusing rules about signing up and how it works. Plus, the healthcare you get might not be what you’re used to in Western countries.
International Health Insurance
If you need coverage in many countries, international health insurance is really helpful. It takes care of things like medical evacuation, seeing specialists, surgeries, and even regular check-ups. It might cost more, but it gives you strong health protection. Companies like Cigna Global and Aetna International offer this kind of insurance.
It’s smart to look closely at each policy. Think about the costs, what it covers, and what it doesn’t before you choose the best one for you. Talk to insurance experts and make sure you really understand your policy.
Also, make sure your policy covers Covid-19 medical costs, as the pandemic is still a concern around the world.
Your health and safety are super important, especially when you’re living in a new country. Having medical insurance lets you enjoy Bali without worrying about
What are the best health insurance options for expats in Bali?
Prudential is a well-known insurance company in Indonesia. They offer many types of insurance, like life, health, and investment. People in Indonesia, both locals and those from other countries, often choose Prudential because they provide good health and financial protection.
Prudential Indonesia is part of a bigger company called Prudential PLC, which works around the world. They use their global knowledge and understanding of the local market in Indonesia to create insurance plans that fit people’s needs. Anyone living in Indonesia, including people from other countries, can get insurance from Prudential if they have the right documents like a passport and KITAS or KITAP.
PRO’s of Prudential:
- You can get insurance coverage up to $3 million without a medical exam.
- They offer flexible options for changing to different types of permanent life insurance.
- Many customers say good things about their customer service, how they handle claims, and the choices they offer for coverage.
- Prudential doesn’t offer a type of insurance called whole life insurance.
- They don’t have a mobile app for their life insurance, and you can’t submit a claim online.
- It might take longer to get your application approved, about 24 days, which is more than what other companies usually take.
How to get this insurance: The best is to approach an agent that would help submit all the paperwork required.
Asialife Bali Insurance
Asialife Bali Insurance is a trusted insurance consultant in Bali. They focus on helping expats in Indonesia with international health and general insurance. With over 24 years in the business, Asialife offers different kinds of insurance like health, villa, business, travel, and car insurance. They are known for making their insurance plans easy to understand and making sure expats get the right coverage.
Clients really like Asialife’s services. They get good reviews for their quick and professional help with insurance matters. A big plus with Asialife is how fast and easy it is to get a quote – it takes less than a minute. This helps expats easily understand their policy and what benefits they get.
Here are some good points and things to consider about Asialife Bali Insurance:
- They offer a wide variety of insurance solutions.
- Their insurance plans are easy to understand.
- Getting a quote is quick and simple.
- They provide fast and professional help with insurance issues.
Things to Consider:
There isn’t much information on any downsides of Asialife Bali Insurance from the sources. It’s a good idea to talk to the company directly or ask a financial advisor for a full understanding.
Axa Bali Insurance is a well-known insurance company in Indonesia. They offer many types of insurance, perfect for expats’ different needs. They have international health and general insurance, including travel insurance, which is great for expats who travel a lot. Axa’s insurance plans are made to be complete and simple to understand, giving expats comfort and financial safety.
Axa Bali Insurance is special because it works in over 30 countries and is really committed to helping its customers. They have 24/7 emergency help and support in 20 languages, which is super useful for expats in emergencies abroad. Axa also keeps travelers updated with the latest travel advice and safety tips.
Here are some good points and things to consider about Axa Bali Insurance:
- They offer a wide range of insurance options.
- Their insurance plans are comprehensive and easy to understand.
- They provide 24/7 emergency assistance.
- They have customer support in 20 different languages.
Things to Consider:
- Some customers have had bad experiences.
- The “Cancel for Any Reason” coverage is only in the Platinum plan.
How to get this insurance? https://maps.app.goo.gl/aJdYnjWem6XbmdNG8 this is the office in Bali, you can contact them via this number 03614746221 (remember to add 0062 if you call from abroad)
Cigna Global is a U.S.-based medical insurance company that offers international health insurance, making it a reliable choice for expats and foreigners living in Bali, Indonesia. They provide 24/7 access to multi-lingual service centers and a global network of 1.5 million hospitals and healthcare professionals. Cigna Global’s coverage extends to more than 200 markets and territories around the world.
Cigna Global is known for its comprehensive international health insurance plans that can be tailored to meet individual needs. They offer medical care essentials, including hospital stays and treatments, flexible plans tailored to your needs and budget, and priority access to support from Cigna doctors and nurses. They also provide a digital portal to securely store important documents.
Here are some pros and cons of Cigna Global for expats and foreigners in Bali, Indonesia:
- Offers extensive health benefits.
- Provides a wide range of coverage.
- Known for its flexibility and excellent support.
- Competitive pricing within the U.S.
- Slightly higher than average deductibles for silver ACA plans.
- Higher than average complaints to state departments of insurance.
- Moving to a new country can be complicated. (source review)
- Limited coverage under the base plan
Allianz Indonesia is a top insurance company globally, serving more than 86 million personal and business customers. They have a wide variety of insurance products like life, health, general, and Sharia insurance to protect your valuable things from risks. Allianz Indonesia focuses on giving the best service to its customers and helping more people in Indonesia.
Allianz Indonesia is known for its long history and strong financial health. It has the highest ratings from the BBB and AM Best. They work with independent insurance agents and offer many types of insurance, including property, casualty, life, and health insurance. They also have flexible payment options for life insurance.
Here are some good points and things to consider about Allianz Indonesia:
- It’s the largest insurance company in the world.
- It has a rich history and strong financial stability.
- It has top ratings from the BBB and AM Best.
- It works with independent insurance agents.
- It offers many types of insurance.
Things to Consider:
- They have several websites for different insurance products, which can be hard to use.
- They could give more information about discounts and how to make claims on their websites.
There is an office with agents on this location https://maps.app.goo.gl/P3gAGR7HvEAa8pcE6 if you are interested in the Allianz Insurance that would cover you in Bali
Aetna International is a big name in health and well-being, known for its complete health insurance plans for expats. They’ve been around since 1853 and have a lot of experience. They serve about 39 million people in the U.S. Aetna International, their global branch, covers over 800,000 people worldwide.
In Indonesia, Aetna International has health insurance plans just for expats. They offer great care in over 200 countries and territories. This means you can get good healthcare no matter where you are, which is really comforting and convenient for people living or traveling abroad.
Here are some good points and things to consider about Aetna International:
- They have the lowest average premiums for ACA plans compared to other big health insurers.
- They have slightly better than average quality ratings from the National Committee for Quality Assurance.
- They offer care in more than 200 countries and territories.
- They have comprehensive coverage options and plans with lower premiums for those on a budget.
- Their silver plan deductibles are higher than average.
- The cost of international health insurance can be quite high, especially for plans with wide coverage in many countries or regions.
Bupa Global is a well-known healthcare organization that offers complete health insurance to expats all over the world. Based in the UK, Bupa helps over 30 million customers in about 190 countries. Bupa Global, also known as Bupa International, is very popular among expats in many countries, including Indonesia.
In Indonesia, Bupa Global works with PT KSK Insurance to meet the needs of expats. They provide top-notch healthcare services and give direct access to a worldwide network of specialists without needing a referral. This means people can get quality healthcare wherever they are, which is really reassuring for those living or traveling abroad.
Here are some good points and things to consider about Bupa Global:
- They have comprehensive healthcare plans.
- You can directly access a global network of specialists.
- They offer 24/7 access to a doctor through Global Virtual Care.
- Cancer care is included, with access to new cancer drugs and treatments.
Things to Consider:
- Bupa Global can be quite expensive.
- The benefits can vary from one country to another.
- Some customers have mentioned poor customer service and long waits for benefits.
- There have been some complaints about how they handle claims.
GeoBlue is a big name in international healthcare, offering complete health insurance to expats all over the world. They have a network of doctors in more than 180 countries, serving international travelers, business travelers, expats, and groups working abroad. GeoBlue’s plans are all about covering medical expenses for travel and long-term health insurance for those staying overseas for a while.
In Indonesia, GeoBlue has the Xplorer health insurance plan, made for expats from the United States going there for work, fun, or study. These plans offer great service, full coverage, and access to the best medical care, no matter where you are or the time zone.
Here are some good points and things to consider about GeoBlue:
- They offer excellent travel medical coverage up to $1 million per person.
- They cover some non-emergency medical costs like doctor visits and physical therapy.
- You can access a network of doctors and specialists in 180 countries.
- They include $25,000 coverage for injuries from scuba diving and downhill skiing.
- They don’t cover trip cancellations.
- They offer very limited benefits for trip interruptions.
- Coverage for baggage and personal items is quite low at $500 per person.
- Deductibles are required for some medical claims.
Factors to consider when choosing medical health insurance in Bali
Choosing the right health insurance plan involves considering various factors such as coverage for medical emergencies, accessibility to healthcare facilities, and whether you’re planning to relocate to Indonesia or are already living in Bali. Ensuring that the insurance policy covers medical evacuation and repatriation can be crucial, especially for expats in Bali.
I would recommend looking into Hospitals that would cover the insurance. If it’s not an emergency you can check with the hospital by calling them. An example from BIMC Kuta Hospital gives out even a page which insurance companies would be valid there.
Top Reasons to have medical insurance
Please note that you would need to check with the insurance if you are covered by the following.
- Insurance companies cover costs of the Rabies vaccinations in Bali
- Coverage against COVID-19 cases
- Healthcare Costs: Medical treatment in Bali, especially for foreigners, can be expensive. Insurance helps cover these costs.
- Quality of Care: While Bali has good healthcare facilities, the best care is often at private hospitals, which are more expensive. Insurance ensures access to these facilities.
- Emergency Evacuation: In case of serious illness or injury, you might need medical evacuation to a country with advanced medical facilities. Insurance often covers these high costs.
- Travel Mishaps: Travel insurance with medical coverage helps in case of accidents or illnesses during your stay in Bali.
- Peace of Mind: Knowing you’re covered in case of health emergencies can make your stay more enjoyable and stress-free.
- Legal Requirement: Some types of visas in Indonesia require proof of health insurance.
- Chronic Conditions: If you have a pre-existing condition, regular access to medication and treatment is crucial, which insurance can facilitate.
- Unpredictable Health Risks: Tropical environments have unique health risks, like dengue fever, that might require medical attention.
Hi I am Dwi. I am a blogger, travel agent and a mom of a lovely daughter and wife to a supportive husband. I customize and plan tours in Bali and islands nearby for a living and have been doing this for more than 14 years. Get in touch via contact [at] taletravels.com