I took a trip to Yogyakarta (Jogja) for the culinary experience. The street food there is very popular for the experiences and unique taste. Yogyakarta itself is worth a visit for the culture, food, and history. So prepare yourselves for the ultimate food experience of Yogyakarta as we’re about to share with you what we ate and where to eat (and drink). This was a 3-day itinerary.
First off all we stayed north of Yogyakarta, about 8km north of Malioboro street in a place called Sleman. There are plenty of hotels around, we stayed in a luxurious one, but with a busy schedule to explore, see and taste it was a bit of a waste and we were not that much in the hotel.
This is a dish native to Central Java. Often cooked with coconut milk and goat meat. The Tongsen was a nice introduction to start the food tour with.
- Read more about Tongsen
- Sate Kambing Muda & Ayam Jokopi
- telephone: 0813-2840-5404
- 4.4 / 5 with 591 ratings at this time of writing
- address: J l. Palagan Tentara Pelajar, Karang Moko, Sariharjo, Kec. Ngaglik, Kabupaten Sleman, Daerah Istimewa Yogyakarta 55581
A restaurant serving mostly mushroom dishes. This restaurant is also very popular, big and baby-friendly. with over 17000 reviews on Google, this was on our must-try list.
- Read more about Jejamuran
- Jalan Pendowoharjo Niron RT 01 RW 20, Niron, Pandowoharjo, Sleman, Sleman Regency, Special Region of Yogyakarta 55512
Street food at Beringharjo market
Beringharjo Market is worth a visit when you are in Yogyakarta. It’s a huge traditional market and very popular for the diversity of batik they sell. Well, there is more than that, there is a lot of street food there as well.
- More about the street food at Beringharjo Market
- Address: Jl. Margo Mulyo No.16, Ngupasan, Kec. Gondomanan, Kota Yogyakarta, Daerah Istimewa Yogyakarta 55122
The most interesting food experience is all about Angkringan. This is about people gathering, not being alone and experiencing a true street food experience of Yogyakarta.
- More about the Angkringan Experience
- Address: Gowongan, Jetis, Yogyakarta City, Special Region of Yogyakarta 55233
It’s all that a lot of locals talk about when it comes to local food. Gudeg is the dish native to Yogyakarta. It’s filled with sugar, with a surprising taste.
- Read more about Authentic Gudeg from Yogyakarta
- Jl. Wijilan No.5, Panembahan, Kecamatan Kraton, Kota Yogyakarta, Daerah Istimewa Yogyakarta 55131
Do you like Gado-Gado? Then you got to try Lotek. We went to a restaurant specializing in Lotek. This restaurant became famous because of it.
- More about Lotek
- Address: Jl. Prof. Herman Yohanes No.1, Terban, Kec. Gondokusuman, Kota Yogyakarta, Daerah Istimewa Yogyakarta 55223
Seafood in the south. Freshly caught. A breath of fresh air while eating fresh seafood. It’s like Jimbaran (Bali) but less crowded.
Read more about the seafood from Yogyakarta
Martabak (Can be vegetarian-friendly)
This street food is popular in all South East Asia. What makes it unique is that Martabak in Yogyakarta can be sweet as well.
Read more about Martabak